Monday, June 17, 2013

Sunday & Monday - Art, Birds, Thai Food in Monmartre, Thunderstorms

Sunday was a gorgeous day. We hopped on the Metro and headed to a neighborhood flea market that also includes an art market on Sundays (Marchè Edgar Quinet). So fun! We saw tons of great local art and I bought a couple of things. 

From one artist I bought a woodcarving of the Eiffel Tower printed on newspaper. So cool! The artist was originally Italian, and didn't speak much English, but between our English, Spanish, French and Italian we were able to communicate. When we told her we were from Chicago she associated it with Route 66, which is pretty unusual. I think many Americans don't even know about Route 66!

Another artist does his work entirely on used metro tickets and often uses the word "metro" on the as a French play on words.  "Metro" can mean "too much."  So, one of his pieces has a heart and the words "Metro amour dodo," which basically means too much lovin' makes you sleepy. Another was a pot leaf with "metro dodo," or, smoke too much and you'll be too sleepy! The one I bought has a drawing of a dog peeking under the magnetic strip of the ticket and says "metro cabot," or, "too much like a pooch, silly puppy."  So cute! He also had others that were fun, like one with a lady of the evening leaning against the magnetic strip of the ticket like a pole, with the Pigalle sign. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartier_Pigalle)

We also saw some really cool pieces by a guy named Serge Rat. He wasn't very friendly, though, so I didn't feel like funding his next case of wine. Super cool work, though. 

After catching a quick breakfast in a cafe, we headed to Îl de la Cité for the flower and bird market. Pretty!

In the early evening, we headed up to Monmartre. I wanted Thai food! I know; who eats Thai food in France? I can only eat so many baguettes and croque monsieurs, though. I found a little husband and wife run place to try. It seemed like it was only locals, as it is small and on a little side street that is a little out of the way. So good! Very fresh, and the owner explained the entire menu to us in English. Delicious!

After dinner we headed to Sacre Coeur to check out the view of the city. The Place du Tertre, which used to be full of artists working and selling their pieces, is now full of crappy touristy cafes with only a handful of (seemingly talented) portrait artists on the edge of the square. This made me a little sad. :( I'm glad mom and I had the opportunity to see it before it was taken over. 

The view from Sacre Coeur is amazing - the whole city sparkles! Tons of people milling about, a crazy street performer, and the best beer deal around (1€ for a Heineken the street vendor pulls out of the 12 pack he's dragging around). Here's a video someone else took of the performer:


Today we woke up and it was POURING rain, with thunder and lightning and everything. So, nothing out of the ordinary for us Chicago peeps, but our hotel owners and manager were a little weirded out by the green sky! We decided to check out the Opera Garnier, the original home of Paris ballet! Beautiful! 

Later, did a little shopping, we ate macarons in the park behind Notre Dame, had dinner, and packed for home. 

I love Paris and am a little sad to leave, but I miss my home peeps and my puppies. Besides, with Paris it's not goodbye; it's "see you later!" Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment